Update: LA’s bloody hit-and-run epidemic goes on, as bike rider killed in Northridge Monday night

It’s happened again.

According to KNBC-4, a bike rider has died after being hit by a car in the San Fernando Valley last night.

The victim, publicly identified only as a man in his 20s or 30s, was riding near the intersection of Plummer Street and Winnetka Ave in Northridge when he was struck by a silver Mustang convertible around 9 pm. No word on which street he was on or what direction he or the car that hit him was going.

The site a typical Valley intersection, offering the sort of wide, multi-lane streets that encourage speeding and aggressive driving.

The driver fled the scene, abandoning the car on the 10100 block of Oso Ave. Don’t be surprised if the car ends up being reported stolen; even with the vehicle in hand, the police must place the driver behind the wheel before they can make an arrest.

This is the 58th bicycling fatality in Southern California this year, and the 25th in Los Angeles County, exceeding the county’s total for each of the last two years. It’s also the 10th bicycling fatality in Los Angeles this year, doubling the total of five in both 2011 and 2012.

And it’s the 14th fatal hit-and-run involving a bike rider in Southern California since the first of the year, and the ninth in LA County — eight of which have occurred in the City of Los Angeles.

Update: I’m told this intersection is actually in Chatsworth, rather than Northridge.

Update 2: Northridge-Chatsworth Patch identifies the victim as 39-year old Victor Awad of Canoga Park. Awad west riding west on Plummer when he was hit by the Mustang headed north on Winnetka. He was taken to Northridge Hospital, where he died early this morning.

Anyone with information is urged to call LAPD Detective Laurino at 818/644-8115.

Thanks to Jeshizaemon and LAPD Sgt. Stephen Egan for the heads-up.

Update 3: The LAPD has announced the arrest of 51-year old John Bracamonte for the hit-and-run death of Victor Awad. Hopefully, more details soon.

My sympathy and prayers for Victor Awad and his family.

17 comments

1. JD says:

We offer our prayers and condolences for the family and friends of Mr. Awad.

2. […] Cyclist Killed in Northridge Hit and Run (NBC4, Biking in L.A.) […]

3. Admin says:

So sorry to read this news. Condolences to Mr. Awad’s family and friends. It’s just become a tickertape of deaths and catastrophic injuries. As bicycling increases, we’ll see more of it rather than less without serious change at all levels from motorists, bicyclists, law enforcement, and government.

4. ValleyBall1 says:

I was just about to go on a ride last night (with two kids, nights are all I have) when a friend of mine called with the bad news; he was president of a local print company in the valley and she knew him well. God bless his daughter and family as they try to heal from this terrible and inexplicable act.

The hit may have been an accident but the run is now a felony. How can someone leave another human to die on the road?

• bikinginla says:

I’ve been asking that same question as long as i’ve been doing this.

• ValleyBall1 says:

I find it SO hard to believe that not one person saw this collision take place. While that intersection is certainly not Grand Central Station, it’s also no ghost town.

• David Tee says:

im actually very familiar with this intersection. it is actually very unpopulated at night with very few cars on the street. a lot of them are driving a bit fast especially on winnetka in that area.

5. Hanon Awad says:

Victor was my cousin. Thank you all for your prayers.

6. ValleyBall1 says:

Please post any funeral arrangements, Hanon. My friend lost touch with Victor but I’m sure she’d like to attend. God bless.

7. Once upon a time I was very good friends with his sister. I knew Victor, his wonderful loving parents and his adorable daughter. I was very heart broken to hear of this. I send my love to the whole family and I pray for peace and healing.

8. ValleyBall1 says:

Located memorial information here:

God bless!

9. Prentiss Jenkins says:

PGreat police work. They caught the dirt bag that killed the bicyclist Victor Awad. I am sure that there is a website out there on the internet encouraging people to use their cars to hit and kill pedestrians and run. It is like what happened in 1975 when the deatdeamovie Death Race 2000